SABRIC has an exciting opportunity for a Legal Advisor within the Legal, Policy, Risk and Compliance team.
This position is to provide overall legal expertise and support on legal issues relating to the functions, structures and activities of the organisation and support management on issues pertaining to legal and regulatory framework.
The Legal Advisor will review, settle, or draft and manage the life cycle of all agreements, proactively identify and mitigate legal risks and advise on legal compliance for all products and services. The Legal Advisor must implement corporate governance.
The Legal Advisor will further maintain current knowledge of relevant legislation, national policy, and strategic objectives of SABRIC members that impact the crime combating efforts of both our members and the wider collaboration amongst stakeholders. To succeed in this role, the Legal Advisor must be an excellent communicator, able to work both independently and be a team player and build rapport with internal and external clients. The Legal Advisor must be a strategic thinker with an analytical mind and strong problem-solving skills.
Postgraduate qualification in corporate governance or data privacy
Experience, Knowledge & Skills Required
5 years minimum experience as a legal advisor in a corporate environment
Experience in drafting of legal agreements, opinions and submissions
Good understanding of risk management within the financial services sector
Good working knowledge of:
Microsoft Office 365 packages
Risk and governance procedures
- Advising the organisation on all legal matters that may arise in its operations
- Staying abreast of applicable legislation, regulations, policies and guidelines both locally and globally
- Drafting and vetting of agreements and other legal documents
- Management of agreements throughout contract life span
- Championing the drafting standard for internal policies at the organisation
- Liaising with external attorneys on behalf of the organisation to ensure clear instructions, and deliverables are procured on time
- Conducting legal research and proactively advising of legal risks affecting the organisation
- Developing, implementing, and reviewing legal policies and procedures to ensure that they are in accord with the existing legislation
- Monitoring compliance with legal and statutory requirements of the organisation
- Providing of day to day legal and regulatory support to the functional areas covering general compliance queries and reviews
- Interpreting laws, rulings, and regulations relating to the combating of crime
- Advising and preparing legal opinions or submissions on pertinent issues of strategic importance to SABRIC members and management
- Presenting facts in writing and verbally to SABRIC members and others and argue on their behalf when required
- Interacting with SABRIC EXCO, members and stakeholders at all levels
- Preparing contributions for Operational and Board reports
- Carrying out any other duties relating to laws of the country or the organisation generally as may be directed by the Legal, Policy, Risk and Compliance Champion.
Behaviours and Competencies
Self-driven, goal oriented with a positive attitude, and a clear focus on service delivery; Mature, credible, reliable, well presented, and business-like, with good communications and interpersonal skills; Ability to communicate patiently with users at all levels; Ability to work well alone or as part of a team; Organised, analytical and capable of identifying and solving problems; Keen for new experience and responsibility; Ability to work well under pressure; Proactive with integrity
- Strong organizational skills that reflect an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks in an energetic environment with multiple priorities.
- Exemplary writing and editing skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and the Internet.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills in both written and spoken English.
- Excellent judgment and ability to anticipate legal issues or risks.
- Proactive approach to problem solving.
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity, and responsibility.
- Being objective in a matter.
- Being able to distinguish facts from irrelevant detail.
- Confident and decisive.
- The ability to solve problems.
- Discretion, diplomacy and tact.
- Working well under pressure.
Access to a stable internet connection, preferably fibre with a bandwidth no less than 10Mpbs
Able to commute reliably to office when required
Must have a vehicle and driver’s license
Able to work extended hours when required
Remuneration and Package
Remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate, in line with qualifications, experience and level of competence.
By applying for this position at SABRIC, the applicant understands, consents, and agrees that SABRIC may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history.
It is confirmed that by submitting information to SABRIC, the applicant consents to the collection, collation, processing, and storing of such information and the use or disclosure in the recruitment process in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act.
SABRIC reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.
Should you not be contacted two weeks hereafter, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Please click HERE to DM us your CV and cover letter in PDF format, as well as your contact details.